Wednesday, February 13, 2013


Hello crafters!!! This is the month of love so I wanted to make something that I love and makes me happy, and the first thing that came to mind was wiener dogs! I have a crazy obsession with them and hope to one day have one of my own, but for now in our small apartment with two kids, three cats, and a hamster, I will have to settle for a herd of wiener dogs made from old socks.
 
 
Supplies:
old socks
felt
fabric scraps
ribbon
pom poms
googly eyes
rhinestones/sequins
feathers
needle
thread
hot glue gun
stuffing
scissors



Step one:
First you need some old socks, cute printed ones are the best in my opinion and I have a thing for crazy printed socks. I like to save them when they get holes in them because they are too cute to throw away and I know they will come in handy. Cut the foot off the sock so you have a long tube, the longer the sock the longer the wiener dog, knee socks are a good length. Sew up one end with your needle and thread. Then stuff it with stuffing and sew up the other end too, now you have your wiener dog body, easy peasy!
 
 
Step two:
Take some felt and cut two identical wiener dog head pieces, two feet pieces, and a tail. You can draw a pattern on paper first to help you or just wing it like I did. Sew the two head pieces together leaving a small hole to stuff it with stuffing, then sew the hole up. By this point I got tired of sewing because I have CADD (that's crafting attention deficit disorder), so I attached the head, feet, and tail to the body with my hot glue gun. But if you feel like taking your time then by all means sew them on!

 
Step three:
now time to decorate, my favorite part! Glue on a googly eye and pom pom nose for the face, and a ribbon makes a perfect collar. You can add some rhinestones or sequins to the collar for some pizazz. Just go crazy like I do and use your imagination. I made a hot pink mohawk out of felt and a leopard print collar out of a fabric scrap and put them on a stripey skull and crossbones sock body to make a punk rocker dog. I added feathers and sequins to the ears of some of the dogs to make vegas showgirls. Finally I got really creative with some paint and felt and made Fido Krueger just for kicks.

 
That's all for now, stay tuned for a special blog post coming up soon for Raven's 13th My Little Pony birthday party and see all the cute things I made for that, and also in May, Jacob and I, and our friends Eric and Jeremy will be having a booth at Crypticon Seattle the horror convention, where I will be selling some of my horror crafts and My Little Pony horror movie zines, so watch out for a blog post on that! Happy Valentine's Day everybody and remember nothing shows how much you love someone more than a herd of wiener dogs!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment